Ricky Hanson Video: Husson College
Founded in 1898, Husson was originally named Shaw School of Business and was located on the second floor of a building in downtown Bangor. Enrollment was low until after World War II, when its reputation grew as a business school. In 1953 the Maine Legislature authorized the school, newly-renamed as Husson College, to grant Bachelor of Science degrees. It subsequently became Husson University in 2008.
Today the University has four colleges, and two schools: the College of Business, the College of Health and Education, the College of Science and Humanities, the School of Pharmacy, and the New England School of Communications. The New England School of Communications, known by its abbreviation NESCom, was an independent school acquired by Husson in 1997, and was separately accredited and operated semi-autonomously with control over its own tuition, hiring, admissions, and graduation requirements until 2014.
Since 2000, undergraduate enrollment has increased five to ten percent with each incoming class. In response, the University continues to add a significant number of new faculty to its ranks. Today, students graduate having trained both in the specialties of their chosen fields and in how those fields fit into a broader cultural context. Husson ranks 54th on U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of top universities in the United States for social mobility.